Skip to Content Accessibility Information

Taking the Exams - Maryland Board of Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Contractors

Taking the Exam The process of obtaining a HAVCR license is two steps. The first step is applying for and passing the examination given by PSI Examination Services.

PSI Examination Services provides all testing for the HVACR Board. PSI has testing centers located in Baltimore, College Park, Hagerstown, Lanham, and Salisbury.

To take the examination, you must first apply to PSI to sit for the examination. You can contact PSI at the phone number below or you can download the student bulletin. The bulletin will explain the process and the last few pages are the examination application.

You can find out about specific testing dates by contacting PSI or going to their website once you have been approved. All questions pertaining to the examination should be directed to PSI Examination Services.

PSI Examination Services (PSI)
100 West Broadway, Suite 1100
Glendale, CA 91210-1202

Step two in the process is once you pass the examination. Once you pass the examination you would apply for the appropriate license. View information on the applications.

Waiver of Examination
An applicant may qualify for a HVACR license without having to take an examination if the applicant meets any of the following conditions:

Apprentice – No examination required for entry level license. Online apprentice license application.

Journeyman/Restricted Journeyman

  1. Holds an apprentice license for three years; and
  2. Graduate of an apprenticeship program approved by the Maryland Apprenticeship and Training Council.

Reciprocal Licensing
The HVACR law permits individuals who have heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration licenses in other states*to apply for a Maryland license. Reciprocal licensing is permissible if the state and the Maryland HVACR Board have entered into a reciprocal agreement and the individual:

  1. Meets the qualifications of Maryland's HVACR law;
  2. Holds an active license in good standing in the other state;
  3. Holds a license that is equivalent to the Maryland HVACR license; and
  4. Became licensed in the other state after meeting, in that state, requirements for licensure that are at least equivalent to the licensing requirements of this state, including the number of years of work experience required by the Maryland law.

*The Board currently has reciprocal agreements with Delaware and Virginia.