Education and Training Scholarships for New Americans - New American Workforce Program
National Scholarships for Refugees and Immigrants
- Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowship for New Americans
- The Gates Millennium Scholars Program
Scholarships for outstanding African American, American Indian/Alaska Native*, Asian Pacific Islander American, and Hispanic American students with significant financial need in the US
Local Scholarship Opportunities
- Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC): MHEC ensures that the people of Maryland have access to a high quality, diverse, adequately funded, effectively managed, and capably led system of postsecondary education. Information about scholarships and grants — including scholarships from Maryland's senators and delegates — is available on the commission's website.
- Central Scholarship Bureau: Enables students to pursue education or training after high school through scholarship opportunities and interest-free loans that fund the gap after all other financial aid has been awarded.
- Baltimore Community Foundation: The Baltimore Community Foundation is home to a number of scholarship funds established by generous individuals, corporations or organizations to make a difference in students’ lives.
- College Bound Foundation: Over 500 students benefit annually from scholarships and grants awarded through the CollegeBound Foundation. CollegeBound administers over 240 privately-funded college scholarships in a portfolio valued at close to $3 million. CollegeBound encourages students to apply for as many awards as you desire.
- University of Maryland Incentive Awards Program: Available to Baltimore City, Montgomery County and Prince George's County high school students.
- Johns Hopkins University Baltimore Scholars Programs: Four years of full tuition to Johns Hopkins University for qualified students who graduate from Baltimore City Public Schools.
- UMBC Meyerhoff Scholars Program: Awards range from $5,000- $22,000 per year for four years.
- Northrop Grumman Engineering Scholarship: The student must plan to attend an engineering program at a four-year accredited university.
- Maryland Automobile Dealers Association Foundation: For students attending programs at community college, postsecondary training programs or two- or four-year colleges, pursuing courses relevant to work in the Maryland automotive dealership industry.
- Congressional Black Caucus Foundation (CBCF) Scholarship Program: A variety of scholarships are offered and preferences are given to students who reside in a Congressional Black Caucus Member's congressional district and meet other specific criteria.
No-Cost Scholarship Search Engines
Fills out your interests, location, and other specifics to receive a list of potential scholarships that meet your needs.
- The SmartStudent™ Guide to Financial Aid.
- Fastweb: online resource in finding scholarships to help you pay for school.
Special Population Scholarships
- Ron Brown Scholar Program: The Ron Brown Scholar Program seeks to identify African-American high school seniors who will make significant contributions to society. Applicants must excel academically, exhibit exceptional leadership potential, participate in community service activities and demonstrate financial need.
- Gates Millennium Scholar Program: The Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS) Program, funded by a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, was established in 1999 to provide outstanding African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian Pacific Islander American, and Hispanic American students with an opportunity to complete an undergraduate college education in any discipline area of interest.
- Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund.
- The Jackie Robinson Foundation: Scholarships for minority high school students.
- League Foundation Scholarships: The program is open to self-identified gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender graduating high school seniors meeting the prescribed criteria.
SAT test fee and/or College application fee waiver
- SAT test and college application fee waiver (up to 4 colleges) for students who demonstrate financial need
Waivers are available to low-income 11th and 12th grade students in the U.S. or U.S. territories. U.S. citizens living outside the U.S. may be able to have test fees waived. SAT Subject Test fee waivers are available for students in grades nine through 12.
- English for Heritage Language Speakers (EHLS) Program
8-month intensive training in professional communication, English language, and career skills essential for working in the government for people who want a career that utilizes their native language skills.
- The Ariane de Rothschild (AdR) Fellowship: Social Entrepreneurship & Cross Cultural Network
Two-week fellowship for entrepreneurs and social leaders with a demonstrated interest in change and cross-cultural dialogue, especially between Jewish and Muslim communities.
- The Catholic Relief Services International Development Fellows Program
10-month international relief and development fellowship with a Christian faith-based organization. Bilingual in English and Spanish/Arabic/French/Portuguese.
Ethnic Group Specific
Asian, South East Asian and Pacific Islander
- Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund
Scholarships for Asian and/or Pacific Islanders with a focus on students with strong financial need and/or are first in their families to go to college who are attending specific universities (see website for list)
Contact: Outreach and Community Relations
- GAPA Foundation
Scholarship for students who express activism in the Asian and Pacific Islander (API) and/or lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) communities studying at a school in the US.
- Regeneration Center Scholarship
Scholarship for motivated Undergraduate and Graduate science, medical or biology students of Southeast Asian heritage.
- Arab American Institute
Awards for Arab and Arab-American high school and college students who are devoted to community service.
- Jack G. Shaheen Mass Communication Scholarship
For students of an Arab descent who are juniors, seniors or attending graduate school in the field of media or journalism.
- Network of Arab American Professionals
Scholarship for Arab-American students.
- The Arab American Association of Engineers and Architects
Scholarship to promote engineering, architecture, and computer science/information technology professions in the Arab American Community.
- The National Arab American Medical Association Foundation
Scholarship grants of $1,000 each to qualified students of Arabic extraction enrolled in a U.S. or Canadian medical, osteopathic or dental school
- The Iranian Scholarship Foundation
Multiple scholarships for students of Iranian descent based on financial need, community involvement, or academic achievement.
- Momeni Foundation
Scholarships available to students of Iranian descent.
Latino and/or Hispanic
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
Multiple scholarships available for Hispanic students seeking 4-year or advanced degrees.
- The MALDEF Scholarship Resource Guide
Scholarships for law students who seek to advance the civil rights of the Latino community in the United States.
- Foundation Hoffman and the Frankel Family Foundation
Opportunity for new students from Myanmar (Burma) to be used towards earning an associate’s degree
- American Federation of Ramallah Palestine
Scholarships for Palestinian and Palestinian American students.
- Emergency refugee assistance scholarship fund
Scholarship for refugees or asylum seekers, especially Syrians because the current refugee crisis.
- The Syria Consortium
Scholarships for Syrian students.
Immigrants and migrant workers
- The Western Union Foundation Family Scholarship Program
Scholarship for two adults from the same family for tuition for college/university, language classes, technical/skill training, and/or GED classes.
No documentation required
- Golden Door Scholars
Four-year college scholarships for high-performing undocumented high school grads with professional development and internship support.
Refugees or asylum seekers
- Emergency refugee assistance scholarship fund
Scholarship for refugees or asylum seekers, especially Syrians due to the current refugee crisis.
- Small Giants Refugee scholarship
Scholarship for refugees or asylum seekers to University of the People.
- The IIE Scholar Rescue Fund
Year-long fellowships for professors, researchers, and public intellectuals who face threats to their lives and careers in their home countries.
- The Hegg Hoffet Fund
Refresher courses for women to re-enter their professional
field, language courses for integration into their new country, or courses necessary to pass required national exams.
NOTE: The websites and information available on this resource are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute endorsement of any websites or other sources. Readers should be aware that the websites listed may change.