Education - Cosmetologists
Public/Private cosmetology schools
In Maryland, cosmetology schools are regulated by other state entities.
- Maryland State Department of Education — for public schools
- Maryland Higher Education Commission — for private schools
The Board of Cosmetologists supports several apprenticeships. The individual registering for the apprenticeship must be at least 16 years old. A sponsor, using their registration number and password, may certify monthly apprentice training below:
Sponsor Certifications for Apprentice Training
- Apprentice Cosmetologist: Sponsored by a Senior Cosmetologist. Allowed to a two-year original license and one two-year renewal. Must complete 24 months of training with at least 20 hours per week.
- Apprentice Hairstylist: Sponsored by a Senior Cosmetologist or two-year licensed Limited Hairstylist. Allowed a two-year original license, NO RENEWAL. Must complete 15 months of training with at least 20 hours per week.
- Apprentice Esthetician: Sponsored by a Senior Cosmetologist or two-year licensed Limited Esthetician. Allowed a one-year original license and one one-year renewal. Must complete 12 months of training with at least 20 hours per week.
- Apprentice Nail Technician: Sponsored by a Senior Cosmetologist or two-year Limited Nail Technician. Allowed a one-year original license, NO RENEWAL. Must complete eight months of training with at least 20 hours per week.
HB 1600 State Board of Cosmetologists - License Renewal - Continuing Education
This legislation establishes a requirement for licensees to complete six hours of continuing education during each two-year licensing term. While the program took effect on October 1, 2018, the agency does not have resources at this time to administer this new program. You are encouraged to comply with the requirements in the interest of the health and safety of Maryland citizens. Should you choose to participate in continuing education, please keep records of the courses you take in case the department is able to implement this at a later date.