Skip to Main Content

Financial Services Inquiries and Complaints - Financial Regulation

Complaints Concerning Maryland State-Chartered Banks, Credit Unions, and Trust Companies

The Commissioner of Financial Regulation is responsible for charting and supervising Maryland state-chartered banks, state-chartered credit unions, and state-chartered trust companies.

  • If your complaint is against a bank, trust, or credit union, first check to see if it is Maryland-chartered.
  • The Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) has a search tool that will help you determine if your financial institution is a national bank, federal savings association, or thrift. If your financial institution is listed, it will include the corresponding regulatory agency that supervises your financial institution. Helpful hint: National banks will normally include "national" or "national association" or include the initials "N.A.” in their names; federal savings banks and savings and loan associations will normally include "federal savings bank," "federal association," "federa,l" or "federal savings and loan association" in their names.

Complaints Concerning State-Licensed Financial Entities

The Commissioner of Financial Regulation is responsible for licensing/registering and supervising entities providing the following financial services to Maryland consumers, including mortgage brokers, mortgage lenders, mortgage servicers, mortgage loan originators, consumer lenders (including “payday” lenders), installment lenders, sales finance companies, credit reporting agencies, consumer debt collection agencies, credit services businesses, debt management companies, check cashers, and money transmitters.

Federally chartered depository institutions or insured depository institutions chartered in states other than Maryland are generally not regulated or supervised by the Commissioner. Note: Insured depository institutions chartered in states other than Maryland that do not have a local deposit-taking branch in Maryland need to be licensed if they engage in mortgage lending or mortgage servicing in the state.

Should you have a complaint about a licensed financial services provider, we suggest that you contact the licensed entity first to try to resolve the matter. If you are unable to resolve your issue, you may file a complaint. To streamline the process, please determine if the financial entity is regulated by our office by using our licensing search page. Note: If you believe that your financial services provider should be licensed by the Commissioner but is not licensed, you should file a complaint.

File a Complaint

Formulario de queja

If you have a complaint against a collection agency, use the complaint form below to file a complaint with the Maryland Collection Agency Licensing Board.

A Maryland resident may file a complaint or inquiry simply by writing a letter or completing the complaint form, complaint form or formulario de queja (Word). Attach copies of any supporting documents to assist in the complaint investigation. Typically, complaints are resolved within 60 days. To ensure your concerns are fully addressed:

  • Briefly describe your complaint.
  • State only the facts and attach copies of any supporting documents to assist in the complaint investigation.
  • Include your account number, your own name and address, and your daytime phone number.
  • Include the name of the licensee, business, or person whom the complaint is against.
  • Indicate an acceptable resolution of your complaint.

Deliver your completed complaint by one of the following means:

BY E-MAIL: (Please include your letter/complaint form with any and all relevant documentation.)

Commissioner of Financial Regulation
500 N. Calvert Street, Suite 402
Baltimore, MD 21202
Attention: Consumer Services Unit

IN-PERSON: You can also walk into our Calvert Street offices at the address provided above, Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

BY FACSIMILE (FAX): 410-333-3866 (Note: Please mark your fax to the attention of the Consumer Services Unit)

Should you have any questions regarding the Commissioner’s complaint resolution process or a complaint you have filed with this office, please do not hesitate to contact the Consumer Services Unit at 410-230-6077.