What is SIDES? - State Information Data Exchange System - Unemployment Insurance
The State Information Data Exchange System (SIDES) is a simple tool to help employers respond to unemployment insurance requests quickly, easily, and accurately.
SIDES can significantly improve the UI information exchange process. This web-based system meets the unique needs of businesses large and small with these benefits:
- Provides for timely responses, avoiding late penalty assessments
- Helps ensure the proper decision on claimant eligibility
- Reduces staff time, paper work, and postage costs
- Reduces follow up requests and phone calls
- Ensures protection of sensitive employer and claimant data
- Provides an electronic, nationally standardized data format
- Includes data checks to ensure the exchange of complete and valid information
- Allows attachment of supporting documentation
SIDES E-Response and SIDES Web Services (See Comparison).
SIDES E-Response provides an easy and efficient portal for electronically posting responses to information requests and is available FREE OF CHARGE to any Maryland employer with internet access. SIDES E-Response is for employers with a limited number of UI claims. If you use a Third-Party Administrator (TPA) to handle the processing of your employees’ UI claims or wage requests, please consult with the TPA prior to using SIDES E-Response.
ALL Maryland employers who respond to a Request for Separation Information or to an Earnings Verification Request using Maryland’s BEACON system will automatically be redirected to SIDES E-Response if you have the following:
- Active Maryland Account with a valid Maryland State Employer Account Number
- Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
- Pending Request for Separation Information or
- Pending Earnings Verification Request
Reply to a paper Request for Separation Information or Earnings Verification request directly via the SIDES E-Response website. The Internet Key/PIN provided on the Request for Separation Information and Earnings Verification Request forms will serve as the PIN/Access Code on the SIDES E-Response website.
- View the SIDES E-Response Fact Sheet
- View the FAQs for SIDES E-Response in Maryland
- Questions? Send an e-mail to the Maryland SIDES Team
SIDES Web Services
SIDES Web Services is for employers and TPAs who typically deal with a large volume of UI information requests. SIDES Web Services provides an automated, “computer-to-computer interface” between the employers’ and TPAs' IT systems and that of the state agency.
- Watch the US DOL video about SIDES & SIDES E-Response.
- Visit the NASWA SIDES website for additional information.
- Separation Information E-Response Users Guide is available online to guide you through the SIDES E-Response process.
- Earnings Verification E-Response Users Guide (New version coming soon from SIDES)
Getting Started in SIDES E-Response
Please take action to ensure that emails from the Maryland Division of Unemployment Insurance are not blocked or spammed by your internet service provider, email rules or settings, or other system settings. Electronic notifications regarding SIDES E-Response will be sent from BEACON and can then be viewed by logging into your BEACON portal.
System Requirements for SIDES E-Response:
- Internet Explorer version 11 or higher
- Chrome V44 or higher
- Firefox V37 or higher
- A minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768
- Employer Call Center - 410-949-0033