Repayment of Unemployment Insurance Benefits for Furloughed Federal Employees Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Unemployment Insurance
- If I return to my federal government job after furlough and receive retroactive pay, will I have to repay any unemployment insurance benefits that I received during the federal shutdown period?
Yes. If you receive retroactive pay from your federal government job for the period of the shutdown, the payment (your wages) will be considered back pay and you will be required to pay back any unemployment insurance benefits that you received. You will be sent a form requesting detailed information regarding the receipt of your back pay.
- Can I cancel my unemployment insurance claim now that I have returned back to work?
Yes, only if you were not issued any unemployment insurance benefits during the shutdown. You must call the Maryland Unemployment Insurance Claim Center at 1-877-293-4125, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, between 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- What should I do if another government shutdown occurs?
You can reopen your claim if there is another shutdown within the next 12 months. After 12 months or if you cancelled your previous claim, you will need to establish a new claim.
- Can I return benefit payments that have not been withdrawn from my Bank of America debit card?
The Maryland Division of Unemployment Insurance may be able to reverse the payment, however in order to initiate this process, you must contact the Benefit Payment Control Unit by e-mail at Fed.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Will I receive official notification from the Maryland Division of Unemployment Insurance about repayment of these benefits?
Yes. Once the Maryland Division of Unemployment Insurance receives proof of your back pay wages, you will be sent a Notice of Benefit Overpayment indicating the overpayment amount due, including information on how to repay and the due date. You may pay by check or money order to the Benefit Payment Control Unit as noted below in question 6. You may also pay by cash in person in the agency’s Cashier’s Unit on the 4th floor, Room 412 (same address below).
- Will I be required to repay the entire amount of unemployment insurance benefits received all at once or can I establish a repayment agreement?
Payment in full is expected, however, if you are unable to pay the full amount at once, you have the option of making arrangements to pay the amount in installments. The Maryland Division of Unemployment Insurance will include a repayment agreement with the written notification letter you receive. It is your responsibility to thoroughly review the repayment agreement, sign, and mail/return it back to: Maryland Division of Unemployment Insurance, 1100 North Eutaw Street, Benefit Payment Control Unit, Room 206, Baltimore, Maryland 21201.
- Can I request an overpayment waiver?
Yes. You must contact the Benefit Payment Control Unit in writing or by phone within 30 days following the receipt of the Notice of Benefit Overpayment. For additional information, please visit Benefit Payment Control waiver request web page (see contact information below.)
- If I am not approved for an overpayment waiver or do not abide by my repayment agreement, will my wages be garnished?
First, you will be given the opportunity to voluntarily repay the overpayment amount. If you fail to abide by the terms of your signed repayment agreement, you may be subject to other collection activities including referral to the State of Maryland Central Collection Unit, the Maryland Tax Refund Intercept Program, and/or wage garnishment.
- Do I need to return the Bank of America debit card to the Maryland Division of Unemployment Insurance once I return to work?
No. The Bank of America debit card issued to you after filing your claim for benefits is good for a period of three (3) years. If you become unemployed within the next three (3) years, you will be able to use the same debit card to receive benefits, if you are eligible.
- Whom do I contact if I have further questions or special concerns regarding my overpayment of unemployment insurance benefits?
You may contact Maryland Division of Unemployment Insurance Benefit Payment Control by e-mail or telephone to speak to a live customer service agent.
Telephone: 410-767-2404 (Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., excluding holidays)
Address: Maryland Division of Unemployment Insurance
1100 North Eutaw Street
Benefit Payment Control Unit, Room 206
Baltimore, Maryland 21201